Fellas – let the mo flow this November! We love that you’re getting into the spirit of supporting men’s prostate health. Here is the down-low on this important gland, and how you can keep it healthy all year round.
The prostate is a gland sitting between the bladder and the penis in men. It surrounds the urethra, which flows urine out of the body. It also secretes the fluid of semen to help sperm mobilize.
By now you should know to have a prostate check if you are over age 50. On your own time, keep your prostate healthy with the following nutrients:
– zinc (found in seaweed, pumpkin seeds, seafood)
– saw palmetto (a herb that decreases symptoms of enlarged prostate)
– ginger (anti-inflammatory)
– lycopene (a pigment in red/orange fruits and vegetables that has been shown to be protective against prostate cancer)
– adopt an estrogen-cautious lifestyle. Decrease your intake of phytoestrogens (found in soy, flax) and decrease your exposure to xenoestrogens found in the environment (BPA in plastic, detergents, chemicals, etc.). Start using glass water bottles, and stop heating up your food in plastic containers!
If you want more specific ideas on how to help your prostate (or the prostate of a man you love!) make an appointment with our naturopath, Dr. Nayumi for individualized advice. Happy Movember, Dudes!